Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Destiny or Both?

A sweet friend of mine reminded me of the opening scene to Forrest Gump. A white feather floating along in the wind, spinning, twirling and finally landing at Forrest's feet. My friend told me, "Some of life is destiny, some is luck. And sometimes things happen that change the course completely and you don't even see it coming. "

Is it destiny where we land? I've thought that to myself so many times over the last two years. Cancer treatments and finally Paul's passing . . . was it his destiny to die of cancer? And if it was, what is my destiny now without him? It has been a prayer on my heart offered so many times. "God, help me understand how much is my destiny, my path determined by you, and how much is my choice. How much is my part?"

My life feels very much like a river now - moving, changing, finding a new path. It's scary and exciting to see a life open up with new feelings, new hopes and new dreams.

And as I sat by myself recently - a tiny white feather landed next to me. God is good. Some of life is destiny, some is luck. And sometimes wonderful things happen that change the course completely . . . and you don't even see it coming.