Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Jump In With One Foot!

Ho hum. Another Wednesday morning. Same old, same ol'

Is this YOU??? Is this your life?? Are you reading this out of sheer boredom with your chin in your hands, looking for a pick-me-up because your life is . . . well, life-less?

I've got some exciting news for you today friend so perk up. You don't have to wait til next month, next year or ten years from now to start living your dreams. You can start today. Honest.

I've just finished a book called "Why Not Start Living Your Life Today" by Eric Delabarre and I've come to some AMAZING realizations. Any dream that you REALLY want can begin today. Absolutely. I knew I believed this on some levels but Eric's book honed in on what really makes it happen. Let me begin by telling you a story about one of my clients.

Suzie (not really her name) came to me frustrated and depressed. She had no passion in her life, she was frustrated with the day-to-day and felt like her life had no point. (sounding familiar friend?) As we talked it was clear that she had nothing in her life that made her giggle, get excited, or dream big. I asked her, "Suzie, what do you love? What things make you happy or have made you happy in the past - I mean REALLY happy?"

Suzie thought for a minute. I could tell it had been a long time since she'd even pondered it. "Well, when I was younger I took equestrian riding lessons. I loved horses. I could be myself around horses. I don't do anything with horses now - it's been ten years."

We began talking about what she would want to do if anything was possible and her eyes lit up "wow, if I OWNED a horse, now that would be incredible! What if I owned a couple horses? What if I taught lessons to teenagers, what if I certified in some horse training and took care of other people's horses . . . " her voice got more and more excited, louder and louder and by the time we were done with our session Suzie was so excited about horses she was crying.

That was five years ago. Today Suzie owns horses, teaches horses and enters local parades on her horses. That coaching session changed Suzie's life.

Translation - because you're sitting there thinking, "yeh, but I'm not Suzie. There are things that I want that don't even exist in my life. I can't even BEGIN to picture how that would change."

Here's what Eric says in his book that is the key I believe. He says you've got to get in the stream of your dream. The STREAM of your DREAM.

Quit watching from the sidelines and complaining about it. Get in even if it is a toe, a foot, even if it can't be two feet yet.

For example, if you've always wanted to be a writer? Start writing something - anything. If you've wanted to write music, get an instrument and take a class. If you want to travel, update your passport. Whether or not you go anywhere - be ready!

As you start taking steps and dreaming your dream, entering the stream of your dream with one horse riding lesson, or writing one song, or jogging a mile, you will FEEL the energy of your dream. That stream and energy will pull you downstream further, the next step will push you downstream further and further.

I want to go to Paris. I picked up some audio CD's from the library. In my car I'm speaking French and I'm giggling - I know I'm on my way to Paris. I'm collecting pictures of Paris, I've got my passport out and I'm updating it . . . even found a song about Paris . . . I'm LIVING the excitement of going to Paris right now. I'm feeling the passion right now. I'm so excited about Paris right now. The planning is part of the whole dream.

So friend - even if you're jumping in with what logic says is only one foot - still jump. Get in the stream of your dream and you'll be surprised how great the water feels . . .