Wednesday, June 25, 2008

God Doesn't Need Your Bull@#&$!

I've got to confess. Sometimes my prayers sound like I'm trying to get out of a speeding ticket.

"Well God, you see, I was on my way to doing the right thing but then I noticed this one thing that I really wanted and so I wasn't really going to do anything bad, it just sort of happened, and then well, you know how that person is and . . . blah, blah, blah" - all B.S. really.

Have you done that? Have you been there? Wanting to do the right thing in your business but well, a little white lie creeps in, or you find yourself covering your assets with a bit of fabrication? Seeing a place where you should-a would-a could-a done the right thing but well, hey, we're human right?

As a Christian in business I do try to be ethical in the marketplace. I do try to be a good example. But I find there are moments when worldly ethics are on a sliding scale - are you with me? I'm not a blue collar worker, I'm not a white collar worker - I'm more of a gray color worker some days . . . many different shades of gray depending on where my morals are. Ugh. I'm not a killer or a thief, but I know better and I want more from myself.

I hear myself almost 3rd person and I know I'm just so full of excuses it's baffling. I know I'm not humbling myself - I'm just blah, blah, blah - and I know God knows it.

Today I came across some verses that made me want to rethink the line of bull that I often use with God.

Psalm 50:9-15
"I want no more bull from your barns . . . I want no more goats from your pens . . . I don't need the bulls you sacrifice . . . what I want instead is your true thanks . . . Trust me in your times of trouble and I will rescue you and you will give me the glory."

God doesn't want or need our bull. He just wants us to trust Him.

Next time you hear yourself giving God a bunch of bull - rambling on with rationalizations - just smile, laugh at yourself for a minute, and remember God doesn't need your bull.