Thursday, June 19, 2008

Run For Your Life!

This morning I was out running in my new white sneakers. I retired my old shoes after six years.

Now I know you more advanced runners out there have your mouths gaping open in disgust - six years? Yes, I've run in those beaters far longer than you're supposed to. But they were so comfortable I didn't want new ones!

Since the shoe swap my knees hurt less. I also bought new socks and the whole ensemble looks great. I'm proud of my purchase and I'm smiling as I lace up my new shoes. I'm paying more attention to my stepping as I notice that my feet hit the ground squarely now - as opposed to a distinct lack of tread in areas on my old shoes. Now I'm wondering why I didn't make that change long ago?

Just a pair of sneakers. Why didn't I value myself enough to just make the change that other experts advised years ago? It wasn't a big deal - but now I see it was a great change!

Are you holding back on a change that experts tell you will make all of the difference? Could be something big, could be small - but why wait?

"Run in such a way that you will win. . . I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step." 1 Corinthians 24-26

Boy, if all it takes to run with better results is being willing to invest in a new pair of sneakers - I wish I'd done it years ago.

Find the small changes you need to run the race better - and run as though your life depended on it. Because in big and small ways, it does!