Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Difference A Prayer Makes

Sometimes in leadership its tough to admit you're scared. You look around at a new office, a new title, a new job description and it's a bit intimidating. Even with all of the fanfare and glory you worry. May make you feel like a 5 year old again on the first day of kindergarten.

Solomon felt like that too. In fact, he was real honest about his intrepidation about becoming king. He prayed, "I feel like a child who doesn't know his way around . . . " 1 Kings 3:7 "give me an understanding mind so I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong."

That's it. He prayed a very simple prayer. "I'm in leadership now and I don't know my way around. Help me be an understanding leader AND know right from wrong."

Well, God was pretty happy about that prayer. Solomon didn't ask to be cooler than those he led, wealthier than other kings, drive a better car, or be better looking than his subjects. He was very humble and honest about his own inadequacies.

What did God do? He blessed Solomon with wisdom, wealth and legacy.

When we feel like a kid who doesn't know his way around, it's best to let God know we're a bit lost. Get humble and pray for wisdom. Then with that new title, that new office, that new project, we can be blessed with divine discernment and lead well.