Saturday, July 26, 2008

Don't Shoot The Lawnmower

A story came across my desk today through the AP Press. The headline read "Angry Man Shoots Lawnmower".

True story. A 56 year-old Milwaukee man was frustrated with his lawnmower and pulled out a short-barreled rifle and shot the dang thing. Taking aim at the defenseless lawnmower, combined with illegal possession of this type of rifle, could haunt this man to the tune of 6 years in prison and $11,000 in fines.

Hmm. I, myself have been frustrated with my lawnmower at times. After almost throwing my back out yanking the pull-cord twice my body length, and heaving my machine down the sloped driveway while holding the cord, hoping gravity would be on my side . . . yes, I can appreciate the man's frustration.

However . . . seems to me a better resolution (and a cheaper one) would be to fix the frustration, change the cord, replace the annoyance, restore the rust, clean the engine, borrow a neighbor's, pay a kid in the neighborhood . . . wow . . . pretty much anything that would expedite the process rather than shoot the lawnmower itself.

Are there issues in your life that you're addressing like this man did his lawnmower? Shoot the dang thing up as opposed to finding an effective solution?

Don't lose sight of the desired end result. A cut lawn. There's more than one way to get there.


To Read AP Press Article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mower_madness;_ylt=ArGXoI0t7EQGsM4vPz82jSShOrgF