Saturday, August 16, 2008

Going Through Hell

Read something the other day -

"There is always a light at the end of the tunnel but it might be hell in the hallway!"

Wow. That is so true. There is ALWAYS a light - a divine light I believe - at the end of every tough situation - but you may have to endure some hell to get there.

With my husband going through cancer treatments I've decided HELL (h-e-double hockeysticks - as my kids say) stands for "How Exactly do you Live and Love"? That truly is the question hell asks us. What do we believe about Living? What do we believe about Loving? What exactly have we decided about those two things?

So, the other day I told God - "yup dang it, it feels like I'm going through a little bit of hell right now."

And I believe I could hear God asking - "Tiffany, whether you live long or short, whether you have much or have little, whether you get what you want or only learn to love what you get . . . hell is not a place - it is a question. What's your answer?"

I'm still developing my answer. I don't like what I'm going through (and you may hate the hell you're going through too my friend) but I'm more introspective and less angry. I'm looking around at people who do it well and I'm taking notes. I'm trying to be at least diplomatic. Going through hell is teaching me more about my character than I care to admit.

So the next time you smell brimstone and life heats up about 100 degrees and the beads of sweat are rolling down your face, think of hell like a question. How Exactly will you Live and Love? Don't fear tough times. Fear your answer.