Friday, May 16, 2008

Wishing For A Crystal Ball

As Paul slept yesterday I flipped through the channels - stopping at the Dr. Phil show. Curious about the topic on hand, I was reminded that we all struggle -

Dr. Phil was introducing his guest - a beautiful woman about 45 years old - who had for the last four years spent $500 a month on psychic readings to tell her how to live her life, what job to take, how to act in her marriage, and what her future would hold.

The woman looked so together - but as she spoke it was apparent that she struggled to keep her life together. She was scared, vulnerable and unfortunately, duped.

Glancing over at Paul - with tubes and wires, monitors and computer screens, all dedicated to getting him well - I could truly identify with this woman's pain and desperation. I too, wish I had a phone number to call to find out how to live my life, what job to take, how to act in my marriage and what Paul and I's future holds. Oh, wouldn't it be great if we each had a crystal ball!

I believe there is within us a natural tendency to want all of the answers for our lives right now. It is natural to look to tempting sources around us and seek out people who will tell us what we want to hear, as opposed to doing the work and finding out what God wants for us.

And it occurs to me that putting down that desire and even our desperation at the feet of our Savior is part of our surrender to His will.

It is our witness of faith when we say, "I don't know what is ahead, I'm scared, but I'm still willing to put one foot in front of the other and follow your lead."

His leadership, direction and counsel is free - and He is always ready for us to call out to Him.

That's a much better deal than $3.99 a minute.